Sometime you can be sent an excel workbook that due to a language option is set up with columns right to left.
If you need to change this for your personal preference or to assist is loading data to another product you can simply do one of the following:
- Press and release the Sheet Right-To-left button which can be found on the Page Layout tab.
- On the Tools menu, click Options, click the International tab, and select or clear the View current sheet right-to-left check box.
How often do you have a column of names with first name and last name separate and you want to merge them together to form one name in one column?
This is a really simple thing to do, in the column you want the results to be enter the formulae as below
Formula A B results in
=A1&B1 Fred Smith FredSmith
=A1&” “&B1 Fred Smith Fred Smith
Occasionally this does not appear to work and instead of putting the expected formulae result in the cell the actual formula is displayed. If this happens this is normally due to the formatting on the cell being set as Text. To correct this select the column, right click for format cells and set number category to general. The formulas will now calculate correctly.
Why move to a CRM?
For many years I have been the Queen of Excel. I have found many creative uses for Excel for both personal and business needs. I have developed complex spreadsheets containing customer details, management of teams, rotas, calenders and reporting. I love Excel, for me, is simple to use, fast to access you runs it on your computer which this gives confidence your data is secure.
A few years ago Excel was the obvious choice for a small organisation to manage their data but today technology has moved on rapidly and we are demanding access to our data at all times on all our devices including mobile devices. We demand to access to our data on the go.
A Customer Relationship Management System (CRM) can bring many benefits to an organisation to manage data of both potential and existing contacts. Using a cloud based CRM helps you to deepen your relationship with customers. Holding your customers data in a central database that is accessible by all who need it in all locations enables a business to increase its revenue and reduce administration.
A CRM will deliver many benefits including;
- Providing access to all your customers data for: all team members,in all locations, on all devices (including mobile).
- Improves communication with customers. Targeted sales campaigns that reach the customers who are most likely to be interested in the campaign and personalised communication sent via a simple bulk email campaign.
- Deepen relationships with customers with an objective of growing revenue.
- A CRM will reduce your administration by remember the stuff you forget and pulling together all those to do list in one simple place.
A CRM need not be a high cost, there are many cloud products on the market that offer free or low cost solutions which will give you features such as:
- Clear user friendly interface that can be customised to meet your organisations requirements.
- Access to your leads, accounts, contacts in one single place.
- Reports, including charts that show the success of campaigns
- Create and monitor tasks relevant to a contact.
- Save all documents related to a customer in one place.
Windows 8 has some great features to help you easily switch languages but sometimes these features work against you and you need to switch them off. This article outlines the different ways to set up and switch languages in Windows 8.
Most windows 8 computers are set up with the default keyboard short cut of ALT+Left Shift to change the input language. This is great to enable you to do it quickly but if you accidentally hit this combination of keys you can find you are typing away in the גכעגעגכעג, whoops wrong language!
To change this hot key go to Control Panel –> Clock language and Region –> Advanced settings
Scroll down to find Change language bar hot key.
Highlight between input languages, and select Change Key Sequence
If you want to take the Shortcut key away, Change Switch Input Language to Not Assigned
The task bar at the bottom of the screen displays the current language. A quick click on this enables you to switch over to other languages that you have set up.
A quick way to get to this same function is to hold down the Windows button and press the space bar. The language options pop up and you can select the one you want. Try it for yourself.
When you are in Charm mode (The icon that pop up when you scroll over to the right of your screen) you can change your language on the setting icon.
I have been asked a few times does it pay to advertise on Facebook so decided to try an experiment as I had never advertised on Facebook before.
I followed the advice and started by promoting my page. I selected the least expensive option of 18 NIS a day and set it to run for a week to see what happened.
I started my ad on 24th December, with a total of 80 likes before I started to advertised and have been checking back each day to see how many new like I have and who they are:
Day 1 – 25th December (3.30pm), I was pleasantly surprised to see 7 new like already.
Day2 – 26th December 23.45pm a Total of 19 new likes how cool is that
Day 3 – 27th December passed to 100 mark!!!
Day 4 – 28th Dec 20:00hrs – 29 new likes since I started to advertise, spent 84.05 NIS (£15 approx), 2.9 NIS (50p) per like. But who are all these people who are liking my page? Facebook insight can be used to give you more details about the demographics of people who like your page
Google Chrome – How to get rid of that annoying ask site that keeps appearing
You open up your browser and it launches into Ask.com. You did not set this up to do this and want it to go back to lauching Google.com normally.
What is Ask.com?
Is is not a virus, however it does find its way into your browser to make itself your default which you do not want. At some time you may have gone to a website and without realising chosen an option that make this you default page.
How do you get rid of it?
Follow the steps below.
Step 1 – Uninstall any program that has reference to Ask. com
- Click Start -> Control Panel -> Programs (or Add/Remove Programs) -> Uninstall a Program.
- Look for ask.com and similar entries and select ‘Uninstall/Change’.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Step 2 -Change your browsers setting to remove Ask.com from the browser settings
In Google Chrome select Setting and look for “On start-up”
Select “set page”
Remove any pages with reference to “ask.com” and set the start up page to www.google.com
Close your brower and reopen and it should launch the dafault page of www.google.com
For my ITIL friends out there I thought I would share this
I was left the following comment on my website “I was looking for a word association to remember the 4 Ps and I came up with the following which you might find useful” with a link to http://www.andymcdonald.co.uk/index.php/category/itil/
As an educator I am always keen to help share others learning. If you find this useful let Andy know.
Finally I have found the time to complete my own website. This has taken a while as I have been busy helping other people develop their skills in computer software, sort out some of their burning issue on the computer.
I chose WordPress to build my Website as it offers a lot of flexibility to grow and make changes in the future. WordPress is a free CMS, correctly know as an “open source” CMS. It is free to download and get started and has a wealth of plugins that enable you to transform your site into almost anything.
My site is very basic and needs a lot more time devoting to it to get it to a high standard with great graphics and content. I was waiting to do this before launching and then decided to just go for it and allow people to share the transformation with me.
A question you may be asking is how long will it take me to get my own website completed? With WordPress 3.6 you can have a very basis website up and running in less than a day. WordPress takes care of the technical aspects for you. The hard part, and the most important is the content. You need to do that yourself or employ a content writer.
Please do comment on my site. It is not yet to a standard I want but it is a start and I built it myself so that is something to be proud of.
WordPress 3.6 has been released and have a wealth of new feature as detailed below. I have just uploaded it and am trying for it to update my website.
The newly added user features are as follows:
- The new Twenty Thirteen theme puts focus on your content with a colorful, single-column design made for media-rich blogging.
- Revamped Revisions save every change and the new interface allows you to scroll easily through changes to see line-by-line who changed what and when.
- Post Locking and Augmented Autosave will especially be a boon to sites where more than a single author is working on a post. Each author now has their own autosave stream, which stores things locally as well as on the server (much harder to lose something) and there’s an interface for taking over editing of a post.
- Built-in HTML5 media player for native audio and video embeds with no reliance on external services.
- The Menu Editor is now much easier to understand and use.